Search This Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

BEAD AND BUTTON 2010

Now that I have caught up on the committments that piled up while I was gone, I can try to describe my first trip to Bead and Button 2010. I say try because it was an overwhelming experience. I am afraid that I was so busy taking in all that is B&B that I didn't take many photos.


My friend Yoshie and I got to Milwaukee on Tuesday afternoon, June 8 and arrived in rain and a temperature of 57 degrees. We checked in to the Best Western and wandered over to the Hyatt and the convention center to see what was going on. Despite the cool temperatures, the air-conditioning was cranked up everywhere. I finally figured out that if I turned on the heat in my hotel room, I could raise the temperature up to 72 degrees.



Wednesday morning, bright and early, I showed up for Leslie Frazier's (http://www.lesliefrazier.com/) Ndebele Fanatsy bracelet class and beaded until 3:00PM. The class was a lot of fun and I learned both a new stitch and some new techniques. Here is my finished bracelet:





























Closeup of the pinch bead button that we made in class.







I next found my way to Stephanie Sersich's (http://www.sssbeads.com/) class for her Spiny Knotted Bracelet. It was a quick class, only 3 hours, and then we went on to the Meet the Teachers Event. There I caught up with friends, looked at the kits for sale by the teachers, and chatted with some of the people that I have only met online.






Here is my finished bracelet from Stephanie's class. She calls the bracelet design " a party on your wrist" and she is so right! I can't believe the attention it gets when I wear this beauty.




Thursday was the challenge of Marcia DeCoster's (http://www.marciadecoster.com) Crystal Collage class. I was filled with trepidation over that class because I was sure that I had gotten in over my head--Right Angle Weave with size 15 beads, what was I thinking? I was soon reassured because Marcia is a great teacher. The class was challenging but I understand what I am doing and can (eventually) finish the necklace on my own. I had the great fortune to sit next to Sabine Lippert, an incredibly talented beader from Germany with a sparkling personality. Check out her website at http://www.trytobead.com/.

Thursday night was the opening of the vendor area. I did a lot of looking but didn't buy much, partly there was just so much to look at and partly because the lines were so long to buy seed beads. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my friend Michael Harrington had a booth selling his paper beads and cold fusion, resin beads (http://www.beadsbymichael.com/). I did look for the new sizes of C-Lon thread and found one vendor who apparently had them but then forgot where that vendor was located. It was all just too much to process at once.


Friday was Sherry Serafini's Freeform Cutaway Cuff. It was my first time using Lacey's stiff stuff for embroidery and so far, it is holding up well. I missed embroidering on a frame so that you have both hands free to work, but I enjoyed the class and the bracelet will be stunning when it is finished. I got in a bit of shopping after class.




Here is one of Sherry's beautiful necklaces.
















Friday night was the Toho Bead party, a very nice affair with delicious food, drinks, lively company, and an impressive display of beadwork done with Toho beads.




Here are some of the members of the Bead Society of Greater New York in front of a portion of the beadwork exhibit.










Saturday was Paulette Baron's Circles & Spirals necklace class (http://www.paulettebaron.com/). I was pleased to meet Sabine again in this class and snapped a photo of her.
















Unfortunately, I had to leave class early to get to the airport for our 7Pm flight back to New York but learned enough of the peyote spiral technique to carry on at home.
So, all in all, it was a fabulous but overwhelming experience. I took some great classes , made new friends and saw old ones, bought some interesting beads, and can't wait for Bead and Button 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment