Search This Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

A HELPING HAND: CERAMIC CLASPS BY MAD ABOUT BEADS


One of my objectives at Bead and Button was to find a clasp for a Turkish Flat Bead Crochet necklace that I made using two different sizes of beads. When I taught the Turkish Flat Bead Crochet technique to Moncie Williams, a former employee, she played with using different beads for top and bottom . When Julia Gerlach at Bead and Button wondered what would happen if I tried different-sized beads with the Turkish Flat Bead Crochet technique, I had to experiment myself.
I walked through over two-thirds of the shopping area at Bead and Button without finding a clasp that excited me and then I came across the Mad About Beads booth. I immediately fell in love with the ceramic clasps made by Saralee Rhoads and found the hand-shaped clasp (shown above) that seemed to be made for my necklace. To see more of Saralee's work, visit http://www.madaboutbeads.com/.





Here is the finished necklace. Using two sizes of beads allowed me to make a 24" necklace with a gentle curve so that it fits nicely around the neck. Now to go find other bead combinations.










No comments:

Post a Comment