Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Hamburg, Day 4: Florencia Snake Class and the Botanic Garden

August 22 was my Florencia snake bracelet class, so I worked (if you can call teaching great students work) while Don continued exploring Hamburg.  Here I am helping Rita Lettau, my intrepid student who tackled a snake bracelet with no English.  Luckily, I had Marianne, a fabulous translator, to help with communication (plus notice Rita's phone with a German to English translation program on the table-we were covered!)

Photo by Freddie Ott.

The other advanced crocheters in the class were Joanne Ivey, who owns a bead shop called Cranberry in Australia, and Akiko Nomura from Japan.

My roommate for the  class space was Fran Griffith so it was a fun day all around.

Fran Griffith (photo by Freddie Ott)
 
 
Rita finished a snake soon after Beaders Best. 
 
Rita's photo of her finished snake
 
 
Akiko also finished hers and Joanne assures me she is not far behind.
 
Akiko's photo of her snake
 
I also took a few photos of some of the contest beadwork Friday night so here is a peak at some of the amazing beadwork.

 
 
 
I know the name of this artist who made the amazing necklace below, Kris Empting Obenland, because I was lucky enough to finally meet her in the real world. 
 
 
"Self Portrait" by Kris Empting-Obenland
 
 
 
This stunning necklace by Joanne Zammitis called "Atlantis" and yes, those are real sea urchins. 
 
Meanwhile, Don started his day by exploring a protected nature area that was about a 15-minute walk from the hotel.
 
 
 
He even found some mushrooms.
 
After that, he explored Planten un Blomen, the large green space in the city of Hamburg.  It has a lot to offer: plants (of course), lakes and ponds, fountains, a Japanese garden, miniature golf and more.
 
 
 
 
 
A vanilla ice cream cone that was so good it needed to be memoralized in a photo.
 

 
 
After the garden, Don joined me at the hotel and we had dinner there with many of our new and old beading friends.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment